Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pets

Lately I've been thinking about pets. As the game advances and new spells and gear items are released, it becomes more and more necessary to have a pet with Spell Proof and Spritely. Heck, I've seen ice wizards with 60% defense in all schools along with high critical and block. It amazes me that some people spend so much time and money trying to get a perfect PvP pet. How to they get all of the gold required for all this hatching? Farming. They spend hours and hours farming Halfang just to get enough gold to hatch pets that might have the talents they are looking for. Also, they probably spend mega snack pack after mega snack pack on a single pet, only to find that it gives health gift and spell-defying. By adding advanced pets to the game, Kingsisle created a huge market in itself.

Mega snack packs are, as I am absolutely sure of, one of the top selling crowns items. They can easily rocket a pet from baby to ancient in a minuscule amount of time. However, the chance of that pet getting the talents wanted is minute. It is so much more likely that they will have to farm all over again and hatch again just to get a new pet that might have the talents they are looking for. But, say, what if they wanted a specific pet? What if their PvP strategy required the card unique to the rain beetle? If they didn't get the rain beetle from the hatch, they would have to wait a long time just to hatch yet again, not to mention farming.

I'm sure one would get very tired of all this. They would get angry and want to stop working on the pet altogether. If they did, they would probably do at least sightly worse at PvP, thus creating yet another ruined part of the game. If they didn't care for housing, crafting, or gardening, what else could they do? Raising another character just to have them collect dust doesn't sound like a good idea. Socializing requires your friends to be online, so they may just quit the game.
I might be overreacting to this idea, but advanced pets, though fun and creative, can make one despise the thought of more than one thing in the game.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm possibly. I have been working on advanced pets since about July. (I got a very late start.) I didn't really like the whole process at first, but I wasn't a big PvP player, I just wanted a pet that could help me out in PvE.

    I also picked a pet that was fun looking and not necessarily 'good' like a pioneer dragon, or a defender pig. There were sometimes when I really didn't feel like doing it so I didn't! (I guess that if I had been part of a PvP team at the time that might have been a different dynamic, but heck, I wouldn't, and didn't, join a PvP team until I had a nice pet!)

    I still don't have the "perfect" pet. But the definition of "perfect" is constantly changing. For a long time Spell Proof and Spell Defying were shunned by players for things like Pain-giver and Pierce Train. Nowadays everybody wants double resist! Pet training is kind of faddy like that.

    Umm so what was I saying? Oh yes! Pet training should be taken with a grain of salt, and reasonable expectations.
    Also you must have a garden, unless you want to cry. This I have learned the hard way. Prickly bears. Gotta have 'em. Yep.

    With that in mind, you can succeed. And actually have quite a bit of fun. I like putting crazysauce talents in funny pets. My friend is working on a Mander. Next up... Myth sprite! :D

    --Heather

    ReplyDelete